Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Google's Ninjas

I had my first experience with Google's tech support and with 3G yesterday. I tried setting up my free* 3G service through Verizon two days ago and although I got a confirmation email, my Chrome notebook still wouldn't connect to 3G, instead prompting me to set it up again. I waiting until yesterday afternoon and tried again. No dice, so I followed the Chrome OS Help page instructions to call Verizon and get them to walk through manually activating, but it didn't work...

After I got my car jump-started and got back home from the store, I filled out the support request form to have a  Chrome Notebook Ninja (coolest. title. ever.) contact me via email. I also had the option to request a phone call, with the disclaimer that it would take up to 3 days for a call, so I went with the email option. Much to my surprise, I got a phone call from one of the Ninja's less than an hour later. He conferenced in Verizon support and in less than 20 minutes later I was up and running. This was easily the most pleasant tech support call I've ever been on - my wife even told me I was having too much fun talking to tech support! :-)

* Free. Yes, actually free, but naturally only to a point. 100MB/month for two years is free. After that you either pay for more or don't use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment